Find the synonym of the word in bold in the
1) Luckily, she had innate ability to judge people
quickly and accurately.
2) Wealth is not necessarily synonymous with
A) being of great importance
B) having the same meaning
C) carrying the burden of
D) being ignorant of
E) being in full charge of
3) Some people are dying of hunger; meanwhile,
others are throwing away food they don't eat.
A) at the same time
B) at that time
C) from time to time
D) over and above
E) once at a time
4) The committee has decided that henceforth a
special test will have to be taken by new students.
A) all of a sudden
B) from this time forward
C) after all
D) all the same
E) within certain limits
5) Many areas of the southwestern United States are
arid and desert-like.
6) He was immersed in his work and did not even see
7) A tribesman in Africa looks at time from a
different perspec¬tive than an American businessman.
A) various aspects of evaluation
B) way of thinking
C) high chances of promotion
D) the likelihood
E) the managing process
8) The Independence Day firework show was quite a
A) impressive performance
B) enhancement of knowledge
C) rising of the standard
9) When you get sick the doctor will often send a
sample of your blood for analysis.
A) the cases of infected bodies
B) infected tissues within the body being operated
C) a small amount of substance to be tested
D) variations received during an experiment
E) hygienic standards being applied in a company
10) Before Newton, people had great difficulty
understanding how any metal could conduct
11) Political repression and poverty induced many
people to leave their homeland and emigrate.
12) Some of the old viaducts are not high enough for
today's tall trucks to go under.
A) a container especially used for making tea
B) a rear settlement
C) the inhabitant in a village
D) a junction on a long road
E) a long high bridge which carries a road or
13) In his defense the lawyer referred to a similar
case in 1952 that established a precedent in favor
of his client.
A) an event having happened before
B) an intersection on the motorway
C) the once-prime minister
D) the varying data
E) the way that things have always been done
14) Photographic film has to be processed before we
get the pictures.
15) He looked at the view from his window and
contemplated his next move.
16) Old people often reminisce about the days of
17) It's hard to conceive what an earthquake greater
than 8.0 on the Richter scale can do.
18) Drastic measures were taken by the government to
control the rate of inflation.