1-21. Sorularda boş bırakılan yere uygun düşen
1. The relationship between smoking and lung cancer
has been heatedly discussed for many years, but
until recently the evidence about it has been both
____ and conflicting.
2. The whole of society may suffer if its government
is attacked; ____ the entire body is harmed if the
brain is damaged.
C) on the other hand
3. Scientists are ____ biotechnology to develop
highly effective drugs in the fight against
currently incurable diseases.
4. The findings indicate that there is a lower ____
of cancer among vegetarians.
5. Medical science is advancing at such a pace that
it is virtually impossible to ____ all the latest
developments even within one's own specialist field.
A) take up
B) keep up with
C) carry out
D) pull out of
E) look down on
6. Osteoclasts are cells that ____ bone in the
normal course of bone replenishment.
A) show off
B) pull through
C) break down
D) put out
E) cut off
7. Patients seeking to ____ scars have several
options, depending on the depth of the scar.
A) get rid of
B) sort out
C) take back
D) get along with
E) fold over
8. The recent rise in drug addiction ____ young
people has been given publicity in the media ____
all proportion to the size of the problem.
A) with / through
B) for / over
C) in / above
D) among / out of
E) between / from
9. The mentally handicapped have difficulty in
coping ____ tasks that are well ____ the
capabilities of the average person.
A) under / over
B) to / beyond
C) with / within
D) through into
E) along / above
10. By the end of the week he ____ the first stage
of the treatment, and we'll know then if he ____
well to it.
A) would have completed / responded
B) has completed / was responding
C) will have completed / is responding
D) is completing / has responded
E) will complete / will respond
11. The successful education of children with speech
defects involves ____ all means of approach.
A) to explore
C) having explored
D) having been explored
E) to have explored
12. If they ____ the child to the hospital a little
earlier, these complications ____ .
A) would have brought / wouldn't develop
B) would bring / won't develop
C) have brought / haven't developed
D) brought / hadn't developed
E) had brought / would not have developed
13. Pure carbolic acid on a suspected rabies ____
wound the incubation period which probably won't
kill all the viruses; so its use ____ into general
disfavour among doctors.
A) may prolong / has fallen
B) might prolong / had fallen
C) might have prolonged / might have fallen
D) will prolong / fell
E) would prolong / would have fallen
14. The healthy individual possesses means of
arresting minor haemorrhages; if this ____ so,
trivial cuts ____ to a fatal loss of blood.
A) was not / have led
B) were not / would lead
C) is not / led
D) will not be / would have led
E) would not be / had led
15. In recent years the trend in the study of child
development has been an increased emphasis on the
processes underlying the changes, ____ simple
descriptions of age changes.
A) as if
B) just as
C) rather than
D) even so
E) such as
16. Poisoning ____ drug overdose is a frequent and
still increasing cause of admission to hospital.
A) according to
B) due to
C) on behalf of
D) in excess of
E) in spite of
17. Dizziness is a distressing symptom in advanced
old age, and alarms relatives ____ the patient.
A) no less than
B) as little as
C) in accordance with
D) consequent on
E) in case of
18. Bacteria are ____ small that they can ____ be
seen under a microscope.
A) very / rather
B) too / hardly
C) as / thus
D) so / only
E) much / just
19. The brain is a part of the body ____ very little
is known and even less is understood.
B) from what
D) of whose
E) about which
20. The remedies they use in the East are very
different from those we use in the West; ____ rely
more on the natural properties of herbs and plants
while ____ are more chemically orientated.
A) to them / to us
B) they / us
C) their / we
D) theirs / ours
E) themselves / ourselves
21. In hay fever, the symptoms vary from one patient
____ , and treatment will also vary.
A) and to others
B) to the other
C) and to another
D) to another
E) to others