1) The poor criminal was astonished at the speed and
.......... of the West Yorkshire Police.
2) Baird continued experimenting and spent his last
years exploring the ....... of colour television.
3) Many of the rescuers were burned by the ........
4) It is true that the fact of working makes
children feel like .........
5) For hours he had been underwater, learning to
hold his ..........
6) Fox hunting and bull fighting are unnecessarily
........ and should be banned.
7) No other invention has surpassed the ....... of
8) After discovering the theft, the only ..........
open to us was calling the police.
9) The past....... of man have all been carefully
labelled by anthropologists.
10) It is shocking to think that skilled and
unskilled men are often nothing more than a(n)
....... of cheap labour for the military.
11) So the young couple waited until they found good
jobs with good ......... and they were able to get
12) People take part in violent sports because of
the high ......... they bring.
13) Spectators are willing to pay ........ sums of
money to see violence.
14) The decor is simple but....... with a few modem
paintings on the walls, and flowers and candles on
15) You will not be made .... unless you have a
poor work record.
16) Because these resources are ....... for life,
ecologists study their importance and how to use
17) I'd punish a group of students who were caught
ruining school.......... by firstly making them
repair the damage.
18) Inventors are constantly working to satisfy the
......... of our consumer society.
19) There are often reported sightings of ghosts, or
strange figures, especially in old buildings, or in
places of archaeological or historical .........
20) . an working in a(n) ........ job and looking
forward to a pension at the end of it has no right
to expect very high rewards.
21) Edinburgh is most famous for its
......International Festival of Music and Drama.
22) Our unforgettable school years will remain a
23) Coal and oil are important....... materials for
the manufacture of plastic.
24) The publication of his diaries caused ....... to
the other politicians.
25) In the past the ....... of the country was in
the hands of the king.