1) On the fifth day after the shipwreck they gave up
all hope of finding any .......
2) Since the company has been found negligent by the
court, his claim for .......for the accident has
3) As he has adamantly withstood all kinds of
political pressure on this issue for so long, it is
improbable that he would at this stage.
4) The British entry into the European Community has
....... a new line of policy.
5) The argument he has put forward is barely
........ with the information we have so far
received on the case.
6) I disapprove of the methods he is using, but his
........ aim, as regards the project, is admirable.
7) I have looked through the report, but must
confess, only .......
8) The share spared by the budget committee can be
used ..... to finance work on child health.
9) It has become a fashion among pop music stars to
use some of their money to ....... needy children.
A) make out
B) comply with
C) abide by
D) provide for
E) put up with
10) . The commission has ....... the matter, but
they have found no irregularities.
A) looked into
B) taken off
C) played down
D) stood for
E) made up
11) . In an effort to ........ the rate of
inflation, most of the banks have raised their
A) run out of
B) watch out
D) put out
E) keep up with
12) . As my assistant will be away for a couple of
days would you be kind enough to ....... my
B) bring off
C) take care of
D) return to
E) turn off
13) Amongst the problems facing bridge engineers,
the most serious ones are those of .....and repair.
14) The two major political parties in Britain are
presently ........ to extreme and radically
different approaches to the solution of Britain's
15) It is now apparent that while US leaders are
still willing for the nation to exert itself abroad
and give large amounts of foreign assistance, the
American public is ......... to go along with these
16) It is ... astonishing that the art of ancient
American remains the mysterious and the least
17) Bartok was influenced as much by the musical
innovations of Debussy and Stravinsky as by East
Europeans ...... Hungarian, folk music.
18) Owing to industrialization and colonization, the
nineteenth century ....... the greatest expansion of
wealth the world had ever known.
A) brought about
B) put off
C) held up
D) gave in
E) set off
19) The two archaeologists have tried hard to read
the inscription in old Latin, but I do not suppose
they have ...... what it really means.
A) got away with
B) written off
C) taken after
D) made out
E) brought up
20) The children in our day are healthier and better
....... than those of the past and far fewer of them
die in infancy.
A) disposed of
B) fed up
C) rounded up
D) looked into
21) My senator did a complete ___ when he voted for
A) plastic surgery
22) Psychologists have succeeded in undermining
parents'........ in their own authority.
23) Boys and girls are given the ....... to get to
know each other, to learn to live together from
their earliest years.
24) The young ....... the old because they feel
deprived of the good things life has to offer.
25) The space race done nothing to ........ the
suffering of the earth's starving millions?