1) . Through the summer, the bank rates were
reasonably steady, but they have started to .....
2) . I believe that leaders must effort to stay
open-minded and try to ..... another person's point
3) . We must give all the medical details, but do
..... from giving any names.
4) . The evidence of the last witness ..... the
accused of all suspicion.
5) He has deliberately and __ done everything in his
power to prevent the scheme from being successful.
6) Imitation may be the sincerest way of flattery,
but those imitated __ feel flattered.
7) I think we might as well bring the discussion to
an end as we seem to have __ the subject.
8) Whether we like it or not, we have to admit the
__ of this argument.
9) Science reporters, like all journalists, __ to
provide the public with timely, informative and
useful news and analysis.
10) In view of the rapid growth of the world
population, the task of feeding everyone is a__ one.
11) The students who are to __ the field study
should report to the head of the department as soon
A) make out
B) pull out
C) look up for
D) take part in
E) bring up
12) He was always greatly admired in the media,
because all his life he __ the principle of the free
A) found out
B) held onto
C) took over
D) put off
E) made up
13) The _____ concerning total disarmament have
broken down without leading to any fruitful results
14) He's nearly 80 years old but still works for a
couple of firms in an __ capacity.
15) It is only too obvious that the majority of
children in the developing countries are not
receiving __ nourishment.
16) The judge warned the prosecutor that he must __
from ridiculing the accused.
17) The insurance company immediately send a team of
specialists to __ the damage caused by the floods.
18) The surgeon was _____ embarrassed to learn that
a piece of bandage had been left inside the abdomen.
19) The chief of the Intelligence Service told me
___ that there would soon be several important
changes made in the organization.
20) The special committee has been called to discuss
in detail the __ in higher education.
21) The executive committee was of the opinion that
the motion must be passed __.
A) in truth
B) by heart
C) at all costs
D) in connection
E) at all
22) The old age of the equipment is an exact ___ to
23) Having lived in a ___ most of her life, she
despaired of ever living the high-quality life.
B) public house
C) visitor's quarters
D) high - rise apartment
24) The President considered the vote on his tax
bill to be ___.
A) far off
25) The _____ from their porch encompassed a huge
part of the Rocky Mountains.
A) TV screen
B) cooking utensil
C) patch of land