1) It was not until the death certificates were
assembled and analyzed that the .......... of the
death toll emerged.
2) Medicines should be kept in a place that is
3) .......... Spanish governments have tried to
solve the problem of inflation.
4) The law .......... the prevention of the harmful
effects of tobacco and tobacco products was passed
on July 14, 1992.
5) The students and staff of the university donated
312 units of we blood during the ..........
6) The Manager is of the opinion that the motion
must be impassed ..........
A) in connection
B) in truth
C) at all costs
D) by heart
E) by and large
7) A transfusion of human blood can only be given to
a patient if it is .......... with his own blood
E) compatible .
8) At the meeting, even though he spoke well, he was
not able to ...... the other members.
9) It was thought that the EC had .... on a
programme of economic change that the member states
could not sustain.
10) One major goal of the new constitution is to
prevent the ....... of power by any majority.
11) When they called Bronson to head office I am
quite sure it was not their.... to prop up him to
12) To be a leader it is not enough to be
hardworking and knowledgeable; one have to also be
able to inspire ....
13) People who are always in the public eye must
learn to remain ..... in the face of criticism.
14) As the conditions of expeditions are probably to
be severe, you had better take necessary.......
15) He has behaved ..... on many occasions, so this
example of impoliteness is hardly surprising.
16) A few people enjoyed the show, but the majority
17) . Admittedly, the engineer's report was
relatively uninspired, but it was on the whole
18) . The Kodak Company now faces stiff
............... both from abroad and from opponent
firms at home.
19) . Although the partners seem to be in unison on
matters of management, there is actually a ......
difference of opinion among them.
20) . The journalists asked the Mayor so many
questions that finally he felt it necessary to
................... the statement.
21) . Geological activity in Asia has produced a
landscape that is at once.................. and
22) . Owing to various advances in modern science
certain diseases that were seemingly incurable now
A) consist of
B) yield to
C) interfere with
D) stem from
23) . His poetic output may not be large but,
nevertheless, Emily Dickenson is generally regarded
as one of he.................. poets of our time.
24) . Morris's warm and humorous personality.....
everyone at the conference.
25) . I thoroughly enjoyed the speech; it wasn't
...... but it wasn't too scholarly, either.