1) Her husband's face was a picture of ............
when she told him that she had bought the dearest
fur coat in the shop.
2) The growing of that type of plant in Asia.....to
at least 1850.
A) bring about
B) dates back
C) pull back
D) count on
E) pull down
3) On the one hand John wanted to get married and
......... but on the other he didn't want to risk
A) come out
B) pass over
C) settle down
D) set about
E) cross out
4) Marketing ........ both physical activities such
as transporting storing and selling products, and a
series of decisions related to any part of the
process of moving products from the producer to the
A) points out
B) asks for
C) consists of
D) prides in
E) keeps off
5) Even though my brother hasn't been eating any
starchy food, he still........ weight.
A) keeps up
B) carries out
C) puts up
D) looks for
E) puts on
6) James ........ his father, but he takes after his
mother in other ways.
A) looks like
B) puts up with
C) runs into
D) keeps up with
E) copes with
7) A few months later, Albert ........ the old man
again in another part of the city.
A) got over .
B) put out
C) left out
D) came across
E) dropped out
8) When I opened the oyster that I found in the sea,
I was ........ the attractiveness of the pearl
A) spread over
B) removed from
C) taken aback
D) put aside
E) surprised at
9) The man on the avenue is not........ arming the
C) in favour of
D) deprived of
E) involved in
10) Bodies ........ a lot of energy to keep heat and
this gets rid of all the vitamins in the body.
A) diffuse in
B) turn into
C) use up
D) throw out
E) put off
11) The man ........ the handbrake, looked in the
rear-view mirror and put the car into first gear.
A) took off
B) put on
C) got off
D) pulled out
E) left off
12) She is a very...........girl, she never
discusses her problems with anyone.
13) The climbers, after two days of toil and sweat,
............. their greatest ambition by reaching
the apex of the mountain.
14) The Chairman is going to give a
formal............. at the Annual General Meeting.
15) It was very............ in the bungalow with the
comfortable armchairs by the fire.
16) The country's mineral resources have been
............. by foreign powers with the consequence
that the country ended poorer than before.
C) worn out
17) Many Asians who come to the United States do not
know a word of English when they first turn up, and
they have to start learning the language from
18) She enjoys classical music and is
particularly........... on Mozart.
19) National emergencies require that the interests
of the people............. those of the individual
20) The petrol tank in my automobile takes 100
litters of petrol to ........
A) fill up
B) block off
C) stop up
D) plug up
E) back up
21) The poor woman's stomach was crying out for food
and her throat........ sandpaper.
A) derived from
B) held out
C) deprived of
D) hanged up
E) felt like
22) It doesn't change the fact that it is
intolerable for athletes to be seriously injured or
even lose their lives ........ competition.
A) for the sake of
B) in favour of
C) capable of
D) interested in
E) involved in
23) Two German and two English forwards were
........ an ugly incident just before half-time.
A) come on
B) involved in
C) grown out of
D) seen about
E) dwelled upon
24) In this small town, nobody can keep a secret for
months, because it........ eventually.
A) comes out
B) passes over
C) goes down
D) sets about
E) crosses out
25) Jack had ........ doing what had previously been
A) brought in
B) kept at
C) succeeded in
D) criticized for
E) thought over