1) . Although we were very hungry, we couldn't eat
the meat since it had ......
A) gone out
B) gone off
C) gone in
D) gone away
E) gone over
2) . The man who was taken to hospital had been.....
for four hours.
3) . A notice has been hung to ..... motorists that
the bridge ahead is weak and is therefore unsafe to
4) . That John...... very badly at Helen's party
shocked all of us.
5) . She ...... her engagement the week before the
wedding as she realized she didn't like her fiancé.
A) broke off
B) broke down
C) broke away
D) broke to
E) broke up
6) . I simply cannot go on any more; I..........
A) give up
B) give off
C) give away
D) give into
E) give over
7) . Did you notice the ...... on Sue's face when
you told her Martha had been just appointed manager?
8) . When the little girl looked in the sea, she saw
her face .... in the water.
9) Problems like inflation and population growth are
the main affairs that underdeveloped countries have
A) deal with
B) come across
C) put up with
D) take after
E) involved in
10) . If you ...... the plan I have just suggested,
it is more probable for you to be successful,
11) . It is not profitable to provide bus services
in areas where the population is widely.......
12) . On account of his great hatred of dishonesty,
he is ...... on his children when they tell lies.
13) . The bank will....... you the money if you are
ready to pay eight per cent interest.
14) . A three-year old baby was the only one to
........ the crash; all the other passengers were
15) . I don't think you are foolish enough to
........ such a good offer.
A) turn for
B) turn round
C) turn off
D) turn down
E) turn up
16) . The management........ of her course of action
and told her to go ahead as she pleased.
17) My boss.. to fire me if I failed to finish the
project on time.
18) . He will...... his shyness when he gets older.
A) get over
B) get in
C) get off
D) get to
E) get up
19) . The fast service in the restaurant..........
the poor meal to certain extent.
A) made up
B) made out
C) made over
D) made for
E) made up for
20) . I will do as I think best; it doesn't .......
whether you accept or not.
21) . We are very sorry you are sick, and we send
you our best wishes for a speedy ....
22) . Since it has not rained for several months,
there is a....... of water in Ankara.
23) . It was in China that papermaking started, and
from there it....... to North Africa and Europe.
A) was born
24). It seemed as if all of a......................
the dogs had smelt treat in the air.
25) Her shopping bag broke.............its contents
all over the street.