For each of the six questions choose the one correct
1. According to the proverb, 'There's no smoke
c. burning the dinner
d. (a) fire
2. If you memorise something, for example a poem or
speech so you know
it without reading it, you learn it by ________.
3. If you tell the truth after initially lying, you
a. come clean
b. go clean
c. come dirty
d. go dirty
4. "People who live in glass houses ________".
a. shouldnt walk around naked.
b. should always buy curtains.
c. shouldnt throw stones.
d. clean their windows regularly.
5. "Hes turned over a new leaf" What has he done?
a. Hes made a new start, promised to be better.
b. Hes taken an interest in gardening.
c. Hes started a new job.
d. Hes been collecting insects.
6. If youve been burning the candle at both ends,
you have _________.
a. been having lots of dinner parties.
b. working hard and going to bed late.
c. going to church a lot.
d. experimenting with new recipes in the kitchen.
IDIOMS 3 answers
d. Correct. The proverb says 'There's no smoke
without (a) fire.'
c. Correct. It means you should not criticise
someone for having a fault if
you have the same fault yourself.
a. Correct. The prisoner decided to turn over a new
leaf when he got out of