1) Having overheard part of their talk he thought it
best.......... until after they had left.
A) remain hiding
B) remaining hidden
C) to remain hidden
D) remaining to hide
E) remained hidden
2) The fact that the rainfall is .......... in autumn
and winter greatly increases the danger of floods.
A) the higher
C) so high
D) more high
3) The department will submit a report when all the
available information ......
A) has collected
B) have been collected
D) is collected
E) is collecting
4) The secretary was unable to finish .......... report
completely, so she wanted ........ week from the boss to
E) a/the other
5) It was hot, but Jackie .......... shoes and trousers
to protect herself from snakes .
A) made me to wear
C) made herself wearing
D) to have worn
E) made herself wear
6) From .......... primitive beginnings in old times,
advertising has turned into a worldwide spread industry.
C) someone else's
D) the other
7) On weekends some families let their children come
home and sleep .......... weekend.
A) the more
B) the whole
C) as soon as
D) of the all
E) whole of the
8) Parents should do their best to make their kid
.......... what is acceptable behaviour and what is not.
A) to understand
9) In my opinion Tommy Blair is not to be trusted
.......... and he needs to resign immediately.
B) no longer
C) since then
10) Some people think that the poor, minorities, and
disabled must be more easily encouraged to die ......
receive inadequate health care.
A) due to
B) instead of
C) at least
D) rather than
E) in order to
11) Practitioners can give cure and educate the athletes
about the danger of the doping ..........or the drugs
A) by their using
B) they are using
C) their being used
D) their having used
E) they have been used
12) Our government and laws .......... sure that people
live in a safe environment.
A) must be set up to make
B) have set up making
C) set up to have made
D) are set up to make
E) are setting up making
13) .......... Israel's Prime Minister Ariel Sharon was
assassinated in 1965 by anti-peace forces, the peace
still remained between the two countries.
A) now that
14) The politician has stated that his party will always
be standing ........ social security.
15) Businessmen who do not invest their money wisely
.......... all of it soon.
A) must hardly lose
B) can have been lost
C) may have losing
D) will probably lose
E) probably losing
16) One essential tool for being able to act quickly in
the class is knowing the names of the pupils ..........
A) as the earliest
B) possibly earlier than
C) as early as possible
D) such as early
E) much more early than
17) It's quite possible that getting two sides to agree
will not be .......... the people have imagined.
A) so easily as
B) much easily than
C) so much as easily
D) more easily than
E) as easy as
18) Merry is a very reliable person. You can always
count on her to do .......... her to.
A) what have you asked
B) what were you asking
C) what you ask
D) what to ask
E) what you are asked
19) The shuttle is already one hour.......... schedule
and it hasn't taken off yet.
20) There were damp, deep caves to explore, ..........
they half expected to come across smugglers hiding.
A) to what
B) at which
C) to whom
D) in each of which
21) I borrowed a few pounds from a friend, fully
.......... it back the following Wednesday when I
received my week's wage.
A) intend to pay
B) intending to pay
C) intended having paid
D) being intended paying
E) have been intended to pay
22) The woman was quite small and very slim, but she
could run .......... the man.
A) just as fast as
B) more fast as
C) so much faster as
D) just as the faster as
E) twice as faster than
23) Time has exactly proved John Nash .......... one of
the greatest scientists of the last century.
A) have been
C) to be
D) has to be
E) will have been
24) I asked him which of the two main parties ..........
likely to get an overall majority in the coming
25) She tried .......... rid of this pain by taking an
injection but it didn't have any effect.
A) having got
B) to have been got
C) to be got
E) to be getting