1) I feel.......... better now that I think I can return
to work before Wednesday.
B) of all
C) the whole
D) so much
2) Anyone.......... anything about the crime is asked to
communicate with the police.
A) doesn't know
C) to know
D) to have known
3) .......... a grammatical rule, one should frequently
practice it in order to learn it soundly.
B) being learnt
C) having learned
D) to have learning
E) who learn
4) We can help other countries avoid certain problems
.......... the lessons we have learned from previous
A) that taught
B) by teaching
C) being taught
D) to be taught
E) to have teaching
5) ........ 120 names have been made public of people he
assisted during the final stage of their lives.
A) so far
D) or else
E) except for
6) The country where .......... is one of the major
influences on a person's values and thinking process.
A) you raise
B) you have raised
C) you are raised
D) will have raised
E) you are raising
7) It is essential that those community members of
higher socioeconomic status .......... in such an
A) should involve
C) be involved
D) has been involving
E) has to involve
8) There is little room .......... error during the
process and it is up to us to show the staff initiative
and a no-nonsense attitude.
9) As we anxiously wait for the next millennium to
arrive, many questions..........in our minds.
A) have been formed
B) are forming
C) to have formed
D) will have forming
E) being formed
10) When discussing mental patients, many people are not
aware of what the parents .......
A) like are
B) are as if
C) as though are
D) likely are
E) are like
11) Some argue that a mandatory uniform policy tends to
penalize everyone as opposed to addressing the children
....... the majority of problems.
A) whom caused
C) who cause
D) to cause
E) whose cause
12) Children .......... their sense of connection to all
that surrounds them.
A) have not yet lost
B) yet haven't lost
C) have not still lost
D) have lost hardly
E) never have lost
13) The basic principles of dams still apply today as
they did before; a dam must prevent water from..........
A) to pass
B) to have passed
E) being passed
14) The belief that the black cat brings bad luck is
nothing .......... a superstition.
15) I.......... a steady boyfriend and we are thinking
of getting engaged but my parents .......... I am a
A) am getting/already thought
B) got/are still thought
C) have got/still think
D) have been getting/are still thought
E) am to get/still not think
16) This book describes the people who spend their
lives.......... with the birds, animals and plants in
various parts of the world.
B) to work
E) to be worked
17) The islanders know that if..........tourists-come to
the island there will be..........money.
A) a few/more little
B) more fewer/little
C) many/as little as
E) so little/less
18) At first she taught it was part of the dream she
.......... but then she realised what was happening.
A) had been had
B) would have had
C) had been having
D) was had
E) had to have
19) The railways in Britain..........under state control
since they were nationalized in 1948.
B) have been
C) will have been
D) have to be
E) are being
20) The planter needed to educate his workers on certain
agricultural techniques .......... how to make the land
A) so as to be knowing
B) as being known
C) to have been knowing
D) in order to know E) as soon as known
21) Guns are not usually necessary for protection, and
semi-automatics are not required.......... for hunting.
22) It is important to realize that if a country's
citizens are improving their economy and standard of
living, they are ..........
B) much more contently
C) so content as
D) being content as
E) more content
23) Not only is America .......... country in the
history of the world, it is also ..........
A) the more powerful/the richest
B) the more powerful/the richer
C) the most powerful/the richer
D) more powerful/the richer
E) the most powerful/the richest
24) The economic prosperity of the colonies was
primarily dependent on the amount of tobacco ..........
A) to produce
E) was producing
25) It is also essential that environmental education
..........and applicable to the person doing the
A) has appropriate
B) to be appropriate
C) being appropriate
D) be appropriate
E) will be appropriated