1) Since then, people have been continuing to build and
perfect these structures, .......... the full intensity
of their side effects.
B) not knowing
C) to have known
D) to be known
E) being known
2) You have to pay a price when you wait...... and let
people suffer..........and that's the price the U.S.
paid in Bosnia which Patrick Buchanan referred to in his
B) so late/as long as
C) too late/too long
D) as late as/so long as
3) I can't remember the name of the garage ........ we
had the car repaired.
A) in which
C) of where
D) to that
4) It was a great effort for you to cope with so many
children .......... 12 hours.
A) out of
B) in to
C) for over
5) Physical education is especially useful for children
living in crowded cities who ........... space to play.
A) do not have
B) hasn't got
C) haven't been having
D) hardly has
E) are never having
6) Two private detectives began to enquire..........into
the disappearance of Mrs. Field, the famous
A) so close
B) such as closely
C) more closely
D) closer than
E) too closely
7) John Brown opened his eyes in a warm room ..........
was dimly lit by an oil lamp.
8) When I first saw Jane I was very surprised because
she looked like Kylie Minogue..........
A) so more
B) too many
D) the more
E) so much
9) Mr. Manninger retired at the age of 70, after he
.......... nearly 51 years with the firm.
A) was spending
B) had been spent
C) would spend
D) had spent
E) would have spent
10) Murderers have to be punished not just to make sure
that they .......... it again, but because of something
that they already ..........
A) never do/done
B) won't do/did
C) hardly do/had done
D) do not do/were doing
E) can't be doing/were done
11) A computer-based virus is an illegal and potentially
damaging computer program designed to infect other
software by attaching .......... to any software it
12) Throughout previous times, residents of the Oval
Office .......... in improper relationships with vicious
political associates or women who were certainly not
A) have known to be participating
B) have been known to participate
C) are known to be participated
D) are known being participated
E) know to be participating
13) The people of this planet.......... fully agree on
anything, but let us just suppose that the world was to
improve and decide to teach its citizens an all new
A) have never managed to
B) have almost ever managed to
C) are never managed to
D) had hardly been managed to
E) haven't been managing to
14) Despite countries with negative opinions of the US,
America ........... because of actions taken in the past
or present to help other nations in times of need.
A) has respected highly
B) highly respect
C) respected highly
D) is highly respected
E) respected such high
15) Some believe that pupils should base life choices on
their own internal values, .......... on rules.
C) rather than
D) so much as
16) .......... fear for their safety in college or on
the way to college may not learn effectively.
A) those who
C) of which
E) for whom
17) Sitting in front of another student can also offer
another way .......... your cheat sheets.
A) to have been concealed
B) to conceal
C) being concealed
18) If I had realized that you were really serious in
what you said, I.......... it over much more vigilantly.
B) had been thinking
C) should have been thought
D) would have thought
E) was thinking
19) My father helps my six year old sister, Fiona,
continuously because she is incapable
.. tidying her
20) The ancient Greeks developed this memory system from
their worship of Mnemosyne, ..........was the goddess of
memory and mother of history.
21) There are usual games which you may remember from
your childhood and .......... ones.
A) newly invented
B) just inventing
C) so invented
D) former inventing
E) almost hardly inventive
22) The last storm caused .......... damage in the
coastal regions of the city.
A) more than
B) as much as
C) better than
D) much more
E) too much
23) You should have been paying attention to what the
B) must be done
C) has to be doing
D) has done
24) The house, when it........... .......... more
homelike than it was before the changes were done.
A) finishes/will have been
B) has been finishing/is being
C) is finished/will be
D) will be finished/will have been
E) is finishing/has to be
25) In most families, grandmother lives with ..........
children after.......... get their own families.