1) Clifford Goertz, perhaps ......... famous
anthropologist in the world today has revolutionized the
way anthropology is taught on campuses.
C) the most
D) the more
2) Holding a black umbrella in his hand he said he
didn't know ...... it was, and added that it was not
E) that /theirs
3) The Deputy Prime Minister declared today that it was
........ early to propose amendments in the legislation
concerning industrial relations.
A) as well as
B) just so
C) just as
D) as soon as
E) as yet too
4) Activists are those in a political movement who
persist in taking active steps towards their objectives
........ merely putting forward an action programme.
A) in order to
B) rather than
C) as far as
D) in that
E) so long as
5) He is diplomatically qualified ......... to negotiate
for a reciprocal reduction of the armed forces in the
C) as well as
D) not only
6) As he was not satisfied with the contents of the
reports, he declined to sign it, and none of the members
tried to persuade him to, .......
C) as well
D) either E) yet
7) Though he got other people to do research for him in
the archives he ..... wrote the entire report.
D) as well
8) Now ...... car is being repaired, so we shall have to
9) ......the manager looks shy, youthful and kind, he is
in fact a rare combination of discipline, energy and
A) So that
B) Even so
E) In case
10) Bearing in mind that there are millions of hungry
people in the world, it shouldn't be difficult to
appreciate ...... important it is for us to find new
sources of food.
11) ....... wins will be expected to take the rest of us
out for a lunch
12) In our day, .......... rapid transportation and
communications, the whole world is becoming one
community with common economic interests.
A) as long as
B) in spite of
C) just as
D) because of
E) such as
13) Of all the drugs that have been prescribed so far,
this is ........ efficient one.
B) the most
D) just as
E) the more
14) Under the present conditions we don't have to take
the case to court, .......?
A) do we
B) have we
C) is it,
D) isn't it
E) don't we
15) It was obvious that he wasn't over impressed by the
way the business was run, and I must admit ....... .
A) I also was.
B) I did, too.
C) I wasn't, either.
D) neither did I.
E) so did I.
16) The way of life .. which he was drawn eventually led
....... the collapse of his business.
A) with/up to
B) from/out of
E) through/down to
17) ..... first consulting us, I don't think he had any
right to reach such a compromise ...... the strikers.
18) It wouldn't have surprised me if he ____ after that
B) had resigned
C) were to resign
D) has resigned
E) would've resigned
19) If we are to get out of this political mess, someone
...... the lead; and the sooner they begin the better.
A) has taken
B) should've taken
C) had to take
D) must've taken
E) will have to take
20) It is hoped that by the end of the century the
growth rate of the world population .......
A) will have been curbed
B) would have been curbed
C) has been curbed
D) will curb
E) will have to curbed
21) Obviously there ....... a noteworthy improvement in
the condition of the patient since he ....... surgery.
B) was/has undergone
C) will be/had undergone
D) has been/underwent
E) would have been / would undergo
22) By the time Brahms ..... to compose his symphonies
this form .... well-established.
A) was beginning / would have been
B) had begun/had been
C) began/had been
D) has begun/has been
E) would begin/would be
23) Lots of evidence has come to light to prove that he
has been involved ....... smuggling.
24) The high rate of inflation clearly puts a great
strain ...... the majority of working families.
25) It is just probable that there is ....... reason
behind his refusal of this award.
C) the others