1. Sport not only keeps the body fit ___ helps one to
A) as well as
B) in addition
D) but also
E) on the other hand
2. The northern part of France is considered ___ an
interesting place for holidays.
A) to be
C) as to be
D) that is
E) be to
3. If the company hadn't lost money in 1992, the
management ___ the number of workers the previous year.
A) hadn't been reduced
B) hadn't reduced
C) wouldn't reduce
D) would have been reduced
E) wouldn't have reduced
4. Mr. Smith keeps the accounts ___ Mr. Brown, so the
company decided to give him a promotion.
A) much more accurate
B) more accurately than
C) most accurately
D) as accurate as
E) more accurately
5. Vegetarians don't consume meat, ___ they?
6. I ___ a letter when suddenly all the lights ___ out.
A) am writing / have gone
B) was writing / go
C) was writing / went
D) have been writing / went
E) have been writing / have been going
7. It was ___ riding I have ever seen.
A) the best
8. Peter ___ to me several times since my accident.
A) will write
B) is writing
C) has written
D) had been writing
E) was writing
9. Weakened by long years of use, the bridge _,__ while
a heavy lorry was passing.
A) was collapsing
B) would be collapsed
D) was collapsible
10. Mary generally encourages people while ___
A) they tried to establish
B) they are trying to establish
C) they had been trying to establish
D) they have been trying to establish
E) they will have been trying to establish
11. When the relief workers reached the scene of the
disaster, they instantly began to help ____ who could do
A) that / himself
B) them / their
C) those / themselves
D) these / ourselves
E) us / yourself
12. The very idea of establishing a literary "canon" has
become ___ controversial that the people running the
Library of America have wisely prevented using the term.
13. It was foolish of me to turn down such an proposal;
in fact, ___ I think about it ____ I regret it.
A) as much so / much more
B) the more / as much
C) much / as much
D) the most / so much
E) the more / the more
14. The scheme has been ___consideration for a long time
now, but I doubt whether it will ever be put ___ effect.
A) under / into
B) within / through
E) over / in
15. It was ___ his efforts that the two sides at last
agreed to hold talks ____ the principles of economic
A) by / through
B) over /for
C) through /on
D) with /at
16. I was forced to confess that there was a drop in
sales towards the end of the year ___ he had predicted.
A) such as
B) even so
C) in case
D) just as
E) so far as
17. Under these conditions he should never have been
allowed to take charge of the operation ___ he was the
most senior of the officers available.
C) even though
E) so that
18. Why can't you confess that ___ hard he works, he
will never manage to achieve what his elder brother has
D) when ever
19. Many more people would doubtless have attended the
discussion ___ they had known in advance who the
principal speakers were.
A) if only
20. If our delegates hadn't shown themselves as eager to
come to terms, those from other countries ___.
A) would be, too
B) wouldn't have, either
C) had not, either
D) have had, too
E) would have, too
21. In recent decades the effectiveness of the United
Nations ___ by a growing number of countries.
A) will have been questioned
B) was questioned
C) had been questioned
D) would be questioned
E) has been questioned
22. It seems probable that, by the end of the week, the
costs involved in the construction of the bridge ___ by
A) would have been announced
B) would be announced
C) are being announced
D) will have been announced
E) have been announced
23. They set up a liaison office in West America for
marketing their goods but now they wish they ___ so.
A) had not done
B) have not done
C) would not do
D) would not have done
E) never done
24. If they had apologized for deliberately overhearing
me, I _____ a complaint with the Consumers' Rights
A) will not have filed
B) may not have filed
C) would not have filed
D) was not filing
E) may not file
25. We ___ no problems so far with the dam since it ___
forty years ago.
A) had / has been constructed
B) have had / was constructed
C) had had / had been constructed
D) are having / is constructed
E) were having / was being constructed