1. It is expected that, by the mid-1992, the allied
troops __ out of the Gulf.
A) must be pulling
B) will have pulled
C) have pulled
D) are being pulled
E) should pull
2. If you ask me, they seem to __ the takeover for quite
some time now.
A) have to contemplate
C) have been contemplating
D) have been contemplated
E) be contemplated
3. Recently, the Agricultural Bank __ to write off the
debts of the farmers in the earthquake area.
A) was being instructed
B) had instructed
C) will be instructed
E) has been instructed
4. You ought to have ___ the children on ahead of you.
D) been sending
E) to send
5. Jack's car is working at the moment, ___ ?
A) isn't it
B) is it
C) does it
D) hasn't it
E) doesn't it
6. ___, you can stay the whole winter.
A) Whoever is concerned
B) As you've concerned for it
C) Concerning you and me
D) As far as concerned me
E) As far as I'm concerned
7. We're ordering our wedding invitations next month and
when they're ready ___ address ___ and mail them.
A) we'll / them
B) they'll /us
C) we / them
D) they / them
E) us they
8. The bard felt that his work ___ misinterpreted.
A) shall be
B) might have been
C) could have
D) may be have
9. Pam invited Pat and me to spend the weekend with ___
and his family.
E) he is
10. I've been sifting here for hours ___ my trouble.
A) thinking about
B) thinking for
C) think about
D) to think for .
E) in order to thinking
11. If she asked her bank to pay her bills openly, ___.
A) she wouldn't need to worry about forgetting them
B) she needn't worry about forgetting them
C) she would need to worry about forgetting them
D) she needs to worry about forgetting them
E) she would have needed to worry about forgetting them
12. It would be attractive ___.
A) to hear the writer's own opinion of his work
B) if you had heard the writer's own opinion of his work
C) unless you hear the writer's own opinion of his work
D) for hearing the writer's own opinion of his work
E) provided that you hear the writer's own opinion of
13. I was abroad ___ the selection period, so I didn't
D) during E) for
14. She made ___ the keys.
A) hand over
B) me handing over,
C) me hand over
D) hand over me
E) me handed over
15. Next Monday he'll be off, but on Tuesday evening he
___ his aunt to the airport.
A) may drive
B) could have driven
C) will have been driving
D) is driving
E) was driving
16. I'll ___ by particular messenger.
A) have the documents sent
B) have the documents to sent
C) have the documents send
D) have sent the documents
E) send the documents
17. ___, you would have a benefit.
A) If you ship your goods in containers
B) Unless you ship your goods in containers
C) If you shipped your goods in containers
D) You shipped your goods in containers
E) That you shipped your goods in containers
18. We typically stay at home on holidays, but this time
we ___ to the seaside.
B) have gone
C) are going
D) will have gone
E) must have gone
19. ___ would shock me.
A) They offered him assistance
B) If they offered him assistance,
C) They offered him assistance, that
D) For him to offer assistance
E) Although they offered him assistance
20. An ancient town ___ underwater while seamen ___ for
sponges off the coast of southwest Turkey in 1960.
A) discovered / were dived
B) had discovered / had dived
C) is discovered / been diving
D) was discovered / diving ,
E) was discovered / were diving
21. When people ___ their motor-bike in good repair,
they ___ by good car performance.
A) are keeping / reward
B) are kept / rewarded
C) keep / are rewarded
D) keep / are rewarding
E) are being kept / are rewarded
22. Lamas ___ as animals of burden by the Indians in the
A) which are used
B) are used
C) which are using
D) are using
E) is used
23. The baby, ___ fairly happily a moment before,
suddenly burst into tears.
A) whom I'd been playing
B) had been playing with me
C) who had been playing with
D) whom I'd been playing with
E) with whom I'd been playing
25. Have you met Prof. Dickens? The students ___ his
class this semester say they are enjoying it a lot.
B) were taken
D) to take
E) are taking