1. We had to drill a number of wells in the area __ we
could pump oil profitably.
2. __ spend so much money on the purchase of a computer,
I prefer to hire one when necessary.
A) Instead of
B) Rather than
D) In order to
E) So as to
3. It is true that __ a great majority of all foreign
graduate students stay on to seek their careers in the
nations that educate them, thousands return home
4. The factory where he is working at present is just a
short drive __ the village.
5. The new statutes only went __ effect about two weeks
before the firm bankrupt.
6. He was recruited to teach economics at the university
although he had no teaching experience __ .
E) as well
7. The traditional policies of the company have been
completely disregarded in this matter, as I have been
told by the deputy manager __ .
8. As soon as the signal __ , the whole force will
charge in the direction of the enemy trenches.
A) would be given
B) has given
C) will be given
D) was given
E) is given
9. By the time the warranty expires the equipment they
installed __ its cost twice over.
A) would have repaid
B) has repaid
C) saw / would hope
D) had been repaid
E) would be repaying
10. From the data we have in our possession, it __ that
the chances of survival are not very high.
A) would have been admitted
B) must be admitted
D) had been admitted
E) was admitted
11. Several people __ and bought to trial since the
scandal __ out.
A) have been remanded/ broke
B) were remanded/ has broken
C) remanded/ had broken
D) had been remanded/ broke
E) are being remanded/would have been broken
12. Much progress __ in telecommunications during World
War I, but the basic technique__ in the previous
A) would have been achieved/were developing
B) has been achieved/ were developed
C) had been achieved/ has been developed
D) was achieved/had been developed
E) was achieving/ would be developing
13. Many observers stress the importance of education
A) by fostering
B) to be fostered
C) to have fostered
D) having fostered
E) in fostering
14. The board consists __ a good cross-section of local
15. Despite long and tiring discussions, the two
delegations have failed to come to terms __ the issue of
16. A number of distinguished physicians were invited to
give __ opinions on family planning.
17. The lecture he gave was highly complicated with the
result that __ people were capable of following it.
B) a few
18. Of the rock samples we have worked so far, this is
probably __ valuable.
A) the most
19. I couldn't help admiring the professional manner in
__ he dealt with the crisis.
20. __ far reaching the benefits of the new policy may
be, the country quite simple can't afford it.
21. __ the interest rates are concerned, it looks as if
the inflation has at least been curbed.
A) As far as
B) Owing to
C) By way of
D) Just as
E) As regards
22. Reinforced concrete was used for the new buildings
__ there should ever be another landslide in the
A) due to
B) in spite of
C) according to
D) in case
23. The witness finally admitted that he did remember __
someone standing by the entrance.
A) being seen
B) to see
C) to have seen
D) having been seen
E) having seen
24. It is time the members of the European Community __
into the open their fears concerning economic recession.
A) have brought
B) should bring
D) are bringing
E) will bring
25. From the report it looked as if he ____ a crucial
role in the smuggling.
A) had played
B) has played
C) is playing
D) has been played
E) was played