1. I..... her taking notes frantically while the
minister..... the troops.
A) saw / had addressed
B) could see / was addressing
C) see / has addressed
D) had seen / would be addressing
E) have seen / addressed
2. For fifty years or so some critics ..... that poetry
is dying, and all that time poets ..... poems that later
generations recognize as great.
A) have maintained / have been writing
B) maintained / wrote
C) had maintained / were writing
D) maintain / are writing
E) would maintain / had been writing
3. Many more listeners would doubtless have attended the
debate ..... they had known in advance who the principal
A) if only
4. Greek's Prime Minister announced today that it was
..... early to propose amendments in the legislation
concerning industrial relations.
A) as well as
B) just so
C) just as
D) as soon as
E) as yet too
5. ...... her declining popularity, it is hardly
surprising that she hasn't been offered a cabinet
position in the recent cabinet reshuffle.
A) In spite of
B) In view of
C) On account
D) By means of
E) In case of
6. Have you seen the display of the books written by the
visiting academician ...... is going to talk this
evening on the future of the European Community?
7. I wish my wife ...... always ...... her socks under
A) had / left
B) doesn't / leave
C) didn't / leave
D) wouldn't / have left
E) weren't / left
8. Most children are able to walk..... holding on to
anything when they are thirteen months old.
9. She looked ........ nervously ..... her shoulder
hoping that no one was paying her any attention.
10. It is .... hard to decide who is to blame in .....
cases as there are many factors involved.
11. Jeanette Robinson will go far in the film world
since she has a remarkable talent for .........even the
most conflicting emotions.
B) having depicted
D) being depicted
E) having been depicted
12. ...... decision she makes, we have to accept it.
13. Prior to taking up this appointment, she used to
work for the government,.... ?
A) wasn't she
B) didn't she
C) did she use
D) didn't she use
E) did she
14. ...... table is on the right as you enter, ..... is
on the left.
15. When I last ....Eve, she ..... to be transferred to
the firm's L.A factory.
A) was seeing / had hoped
B) have seen / would have hoped
C) saw / would hope
D) saw / was hoping
E) see / will hope
16. Of course, it can never be proved, but just the
same, many people think that it ..... better for these
children if they had been by force taken away from their
A) may have been
B) had been
C) will have been
D) would have been
E) must be
17. If we ..... the terms of the agreement, all the
paint-work in the building ...... finished by the 14th
of next month.
A) are to meet / will have to be
B) were meeting / will be
C) met / would have had to be
D) had met / is being
E) will meet / was being
18. ......suggestions Alice may make as regards the tax
rate, let's not give any response ..... we've discussed
the matter thoroughly together.
A) However / when
B) Whatever / until
C) Why ever / after
D) Whatsoever / while
E) Whenever / before
19. Activists are those in a political movement who
insist on taking active steps towards their targets
..... merely putting forward an action program.
A) in order to
B) rather than
C) as far as
D) in that
E) so long as
20. Economic depression and rising unemployment, coupled
..... continued increases ..... retail food prices, have
A) with / in
B) through / through
C) by / for
D) at / about
E) within / over
21. ...... she has a high temperature, she had better
not go out in such cold weather. We had better send for
a doctor instead.
B) As though
C) Owing to
22. The President said to his secretary: "You will check
that all the details are correct, ....?"
A) aren't they
B) will you
C) could you
D) won't you
E) are they
23. The public ...... that the Government .... the
interest rates ......
A) demands / has / reduce
B) demanded / have / reduced
C) will demand / will have / reduced
D) demand /has to/ reduced
E) demanded / has / reduced
24. Few sociologists will admit that a city is
distinct..... a town merely ... its population.
25. She invariably gets what she wants but unfortunately
this is usually .... the expense of others.
A) out of
C) up to