1. If Martin ..... to a doctor straight away as I
advised, he ......... a great deal of discomfort.
A) would go / would have been spared
B) were going / have been spared
C) have gone / were spared
D) had gone / would have been spared
E) went / had been spared
2. Of course nobody knows what the outcome of the
election ....... but at the moment Norton ..... as the
most likely candidate.
A) would have been / is being regarded
B) is / has been regarded
C) was / would be regarded
D) will be / is regarded
E) has been / has been regarded
3. By the end of Clinton's term of office, he ..... all
the projects he has already undertaken.
A) has completed
B) will have completed
D) had completed
E) is completing
4. What George..... is that they ...... to think
seriously about a thorough reform in the legal system.
A) have proposed / should have begun
B) had proposed / were beginning
C) is proposing / begin
D) was proposing / have begun
E) proposed / had begun
5. If Europeans members of the committee hadn't shown
their willingness to come to terms, those from overseas
A) would be to
B) wouldn't have, either
C) had not, either
D) have had, too
E) would have, too
6. When the SAR team reached the scene of the disaster,
they immediately began to help ..... who could do
nothing for ......
A) that / himself
B) them / their
C) those / themselves
D) these / ourselves
E) us / yourself
7. I doubt you were very impressed by the way Anna
played the violin concerto, .....?
A) were you
B) weren't you
C) didn't he
D) aren't I
E) won't you
8. The government is planning to modernize the
communications system ...... the costs involved will be
a serious burden on the budget.
A) so that
D) as if
E) even though
9. ....... you hadn't made too much noise at the party,
we would now be in good terms with our neighbours.
A) Even if
C) In case
D) If only
10. I'd ...... the other book that the librarian
recommended to me. Because the one I borrowed was too
A) rather borrow
B) better borrow
C) to borrow
D) rather have borrowed
E) had preferred
11. Kelly is full..... good intentions, but none of them
can be put..... practice..
A) at sunder
12. I don't like the schedule they have given me; all my
classes are after lunch but I would ..... rather teach
in the mornings.
13. One way of..... the environment is ..... such things
as glass and paper.
B) protecting/to recycle
D) to protect/recycling
E) being protected/to have recycled
14. ...... hard Mike works, he'll never be the equal of
his father, he's just not capable of it.
E) Just as
15. ...... Carry gives the appearance of sincerity and
reliability, just remember that you can't trust her an
C) As far as
16. For a plan to be really successful, team work is
essential and the members of the team must be supportive
A) each of them
B) the others
D) one another
E) the other one
17. Our lawyers still..... that any changes in the law
along these lines ........ to our advantage.
A) had believed / will have been
B) behaved / had been
C) have believed / would be
D) would believe / were being
E) believe / will be
18. Finally, I..... him for election since the attitude
of the delegates ....... so completely.
A) didn't propose / had changed
B) have proposed / will change
C) am proposing / would have changed
D) could not have proposed / is changing
E) had not proposed / changed
19. Before the ministry's baby health campaign ..... the
infant mortality rate .... to an alarming extent.
A) is being introduced / would rise
B) will be introduced / rose
C) had been introduced / has risen
D) will be introduced / was rising
E) was introduced / had risen
20. ...... the embargo imposed on us is lifted this
year, we can't hope for any economic recovery.
D) In case
21. The plan has been ..... consideration for a long
time now, but I doubt whether it will ever be put.....
A) under / into
B) within / through
C) for / to
D) in / off
E) over / over
22. As he was not satisfied with the contents of the
document, he refused to sign it, and none of the members
attempted to persuade him to ......
C) as well
23. By the time we meet again I hope you ...... the
first part of your thesis.
A) will have completed
B) have completed
C) had completed
E) to complete
24. ....... well one may think of Eli, one must admit
she's too old for the job.
25. It stands ...... reason that once the price of oil
rises, it never drops.