1. Could you tell me ...... you four first met each
2. Local authorities have always given ...... importance
to the development of recreational facilities.
3. Before the vaccination campaign of the
ministry....... the infant mortality rate .... to an
A) is being introduced/would rise
B) will be introduced/rose
C) had been introduced/has risen
D) will be introduced/was rising
E) was introduced/had risen
4. The airplane to Istanbul ..... already. It's not due
to leave until 11:30.
A) can't have taken off
B) must have taken off
C) mightn't have taken off
D) must be taking off
E) can't be taking off
5. I reckon May will be great asset to the firm,.....
she really does have a good eye for business.
6. As far as I am concerned Jack is one of .......
talented lawyers the corporation has ever had.
B) the most
7. Probably the vice president didn't ....... appreciate
the risks involved in entering the competitive world of
8. ..... high level of shortages of food in many
underdeveloped countries, the delegates voted to
increase programs and services in weather reporting and
research needed for greater production of foodstuffs.
A) By way of
B) Contrary to
C) According to
D) In view of
E) As far as
9. ...... takes on the task of investigating these
particular allegations is going to face with many
10. Apparently both countries are seeking a face-saving
compromise, but it is doubtful that..... will ever again
gain the confidence of the world.
D) the other
E) the rest
11. When that happened, their hopes ..... because the
air force ...... its most trusted leaders.
A) wane/would lose
B) are waning/loses
C) waned/had lost
D) were waning/has lost
E) have waned/lost
12. You ..... pleased to learn that Mr. Brown .....
A) have been / appointed
B) are / is appointing
C) will be / has been appointed
D) have been / was appointed
E) were / appointed
13. For nearly two decades most governments in the world
..... to find ways of overcoming environmental problems.
A) were tried
B) would have tried
D) could try
E) have been trying
14. The Hollywood studio system in film-making, which
began ..... 1925 and flourished from the early 1940s
..... the 1955, is unique in Western culture.
A) throughout / into
B) around / through
C) by / until
D) within / over
E) along / till
15. Under these circumstances Jennie should never have
been allowed to take charge of the operation ... she was
the most senior of the officers available.
A) why ever
C) even though
16. Henry is diplomatically qualified ..... to negotiate
for a mutual reduction of the armed forces in the
C) as well as
D) not only
17. You have heard ...... version of the murder. Now,
it's your turn to tell me .....
18. There were many dead people on both sides, but more
on the enemy side than on.......
19. If Jack's inefficiency ...... out earlier, he ......
A) is pointed/would resign
B) was pointed/could have resigned
C) had been pointed/would have resigned
D) has been pointed/had resigned
E) may have been pointed/will have to resign
20. This young man...... any one of a dozen women but he
preferred to wait till his girlfriend completed her post
A) needn't have married
B) could have married
C) was not going to get married
D) must have been married
E) shouldn't have got married
21. This article...... King Arthur is extremely
22. I've given up expecting Kelly to act sensibly, but
her behaviour on this occasion was ..... irrational than
A) the most
B) so much
C) even more
D) ever so
E) the more
23. The food may be good at the Kanfesia, but it is
A) very much
B) far too
C) even so
D) quite a lot
E) more than
24. Put the summary into my briefcase; I'll read it.....
I'm waiting for the train.
C) so that
D) as soon as
25. The board showed their wholehearted approval of the
designs Andre submitted, and......
A) me, too
B) so did I
C) so have I
D) so we do
E) we also have