1. ...... the time your son reaches school age he ought
to be able to dress himself fairly quickly.
2. In his new post in the army, he will be responsible
........... the coordination of relief supplies to the
3. The new president is generally regarded as .....
effective leaders the country has had in decades.
B) the most
C) the other
D) one of the most
E) more than
4. The minister is determined to develop the
communications system ..... the costs involved will be a
serious burden on the budget.
A) so that
D) as if
E) even though
5. She was terribly disappointed with the decision of
the board,..... he gave in his resignation.
D) in case
6. ...... of the questions they asked at the meeting
were ... what I expected.
A) Some / more
B) Each / such
C) All / so as
D) Any / about
E) None / quite
7. She ..... the advantages and the disadvantages of the
takeover when I ........ them an hour or so later.
A) will discuss/would rejoin
B) have discussed/am rejoining
C) are discussing/will rejoin
D) was discussing/rejoined
E) would discuss/had rejoined
8. At tomorrow's concert the band ..... by Hanz von
A) will have conducted
B) will conduct
C) has been conducted
D) will be conducted
E) is going to conduct
9. No one..... appointed since the two companies .....
A) are / would be
B) were / have been
C) are going to be / have
D) would have been / are being
E) has been / were
10. We were prevented ..... completing the project.....
time due to unexpected problems.
A) from / on
B) in / by
C) by / in
D) at / over
E) for / about
11. Despite the strong wind they were able to put out
the fire before it........
A) fell of
B) was taken into account
C) was held out
D) got out of hand
E) broke up
12. It is likely that, by the end of the year the costs
involved in the construction of bridge ..... by the
A) would have been announced
B) would be announced
C) are being announced
D) will have been announced
E) have been announced
13. We ...... no news of her at all since she ..........
A) have had/left
B) had had/has left
C) will have had/will have
E) have had/has left
14. Even in classical times there were people with a
...... ethical approach to education than one can find
in the last two centuries.
15. Plenty of evidence has come to light to prove that
Mike has been involved ...... smuggling.
16. Melanie: It's a pity. You ...... this morning.
Because I forgot to tell you that the clock in the
living room was ten minutes fast.
Bennie: Don't worry. I...... Because I knew about that.
A) didn't need to rush / needn't have rushed
B) needn't have rushed / needn't have rushed
C) needn't have rushed / needed to rush
D) didn't need to rush / didn't need to rush
E) needn't have rushed / didn't need to rush
17. The high rate of inflation obviously puts a great
strain ...... most of the working families.
18. Some of the committee members are convinced that the
price is ..... high to be accepted.
19. The new accountant we have recruited is not.....
good at his job..... the previous one.
20. ...... well one may think of Mary, one must admit
that she's too old for the job.
21. Could this possibly be the firm's new buyer .....
fame, if we are to believe the newspapers, is not quite
what it should be?
22. Authorities have always given ..... importance to
the development of recreational facilities.
23. Last month's supplementary budget package ...... to
prevent Japan's economy from plunging even lower.
A) was designed
B) has designed
C) had designed
D) would be designed
E) is being designed
24. If you ..... to promote her, you .... so right away.
A) are meaning /did
B) meant / will have to do
C) have meant / had to do
D) mean / must do
E) were meaning / had done
25. Several specialists were working on the project, and
each came up with some interesting proposals, and
naturally ..... claimed that ...... was the best.
A) many / each
B) some / its
C) we / it
D) all / he
E) each / hers