1. Ozone ______ extremely active chemically and succeeds
in damaging and vegetation it comes in contact with.
C) which is
D) is being
E) by being .
2. They ___ quite a good job of it and too tired.
A) made / not getting
B) will make /got
C) are making / were not getting
D) will be making / are not getting
E) are making / not getting
3. We ___ for a holiday in Europe just when Lisa
A) left / was catching
B) are leaving / caught
C) were leaving / catches
D) were leaving / caught
E) have been leaving / caught
4. Had they apologized for deliberately overhearing me,
I _____ a complaint with the Consumers' Rights Office.
A) will not have filed
B) may not have filed
C) would not have filed
D) was not filing
E) may not file
5. We ____ no problems whatsoever with the dam since
it______ forty years ago.
A) had / has been constructed
B) have had 7 was constructed
C) had had / had been constructed
D) are having / is constructed
E) were having / was being constructed
6. From the hearing at the court it became clear that
she had personally been involved .... the murder.
7. The high rate of inflation obviously puts a great
strain ......... the majority of working families.
8. The idea ......... little and young children learn
better and faster is shared by many educators.
9. My dog...... when I first bought it. But now it......
A) was used to being petted / is accustomed
B) is used to being petted / got accustomed
C) was not used to being petted / has got accustomed
D) used to pet / is not accustomed
E) isn't used to being petted / is getting accustomed
10. She wants to know if she can pay you back next week?
She is very short .... money ....present.
11. Research into the causes of AIDS is ....... great
importance if we are to learn how to control the
12. His coach was for giving up the attempt, but it was
...... impossible to convince Jake of the need to do so.
13. ....... the premiums for insuring the premises are
at the highest level, we have no other alternative but
to take out a policy.
A) Even though
B) In spite of
14. Have you seen the display of the books written by
the visiting professor ...... is going to talk this
afternoon on the future of the G7 countries?
15. The number of the casualties on both sides was high,
but more on the enemy side than on ........
16. Of course my worries ..... by the confused way in
which he ..... out his answers to my questions.
A) have been awakened/was stammering
B) were awakened/stammered
D) would have awakened/had stammered
E) would have been awakened/has stammered
17. In some quarters it is felt that the minister .....
the political stature that he needs to recast the
country's economic policy.
A) was losing
B) may have lost
C) would have lost
D) had lost
18. When she .......... that very sudden promise, she
didn't realize what she ..... herself in for.
A) will make / would let
B) has made / lets
C) made / was letting
D) was making / has let
E) makes / is letting
19. Computers are heavily relied on by the scientists to
model phenomena ..... would....... be difficult to
A) whereby / in case
B) such as / nonetheless
C) which / nevertheless
D) that / otherwise
E) so that / in fact
20. It was foolish of her to turn down such an offer; in
fact..... she thinks about it,........ she regrets it.
A) as much / so much more
B) the more / as much
C) much / as much
D) the most / so much
E) the more / the more
21. Holding a black umbrella in her hand she said she
didn't know ..... it was and added that it was not......
A) which / him
B) whose / hers
C) who / her
D) whom / us
E) that / theirs
22. Every student agreed that his recent lecture
............. much light on the subject.
A) had thrown
B) has thrown
C) will be thrown
D) is throwing
23. It is just possible that there is ...... reason
behind his refusal of the prize.
C) the others
24. By the end of his term of office, he ...... all the
tasks he has already undertaken.
A) has completed
B) will have completed
D) had completed
E) is completing
25. You ...... attention to what the lecturer was
explaining. You ...... busy with something else.
A) can't have been paying / may have been
B) must have been paying / shouldn't have been
C) should have been paying / shouldn't have been
D) may have been paying / must have been
E) needn't have paid / can't have been