1. Next Monday he'll be free but on Tuesday evening he
___ his aunt to
A) may drive
B) could have driven
C) will have been driving
D) is driving
E) was driving
2. I'll ___ by special messenger.
A) have the documents sent
B) have the documents to sent
C) have the documents send
D) have sent the documents
E) send the documents
3. You can't wear those ___ any longer.
A) these shoes are worn-out
B) shoes worn-out
C) wearing out shoes
D) shoes that they are worn-out
E) worn-out shoes
4. ___, you would have an advantage.
A) If you ship your goods in containers
B) Unless you ship your goods in containers
C) If you shipped your goods in containers
D) You shipped your goods in containers
E) That you shipped your goods in containers
5. He always works hard but now ___ things.
A) he may overdo
B) he is overdoing
C) he was overdoing
D) he had been overdoing
E) he will overdo
6. The captain is the officer ___.
A) commands the ship
B) commanded the ship
C) who he is commanding the ship
D) commanding the ship
E) he commands the ship
7. We usually stay at home on holidays but this Time ___
to the seaside.
A) we went
B) we have gone
C) we are going
D) we will have gone
E) we must have gone
8. ___ would surprise me.
A) They offered him assistance
B) If they offered him assistance,
C) They offered him assistance, that
D) For him to offer assistance
E) Although they offered him assistance
9. An ancient town ___ underwater while fishermen ______
off the coast of south-west Turkey in 1960
A) discovered / were dived
B) had discovered / had dived
C) is discovered / been diving
D) was discovered / diving
E) was discovered / were diving
10. When people ___ their cars in good repair, they ___
by good car performance.
A) are keeping / reward
B) are kept / rewarded
C) keep / are rewarded
D) keep / are rewarding
E) are being kept / are rewarded
11. Llamas ____ as beasts of burden by the Indians in
A) which are used
B) are used
C) which are using
D) are using
E) is used
12. The baby _____ quite happily a moment before,
suddenly burst into tears.
A) whom I'd been playing
B) had been playing with me
C) who had been playing with
D) whom I'd been playing at
E) with whom I'd been playing
13. Have you met Prof. Marlow? The students ___ his
class this semester say they are enjoying it a lot.
B) were taken
D) to take
E) are taking
14. Sport not only keeps the body fit ____ helps one to
lose excess weight.
A) as well as
B) in addition
D) but also
E) on the other hand
15. The southern part of France is considered ___ an
interesting place for holidays.
A) to be
C) as to be
D) that is
E) be to
16. If the company hadn't lost money in 1992, the
management ___ the number of workers last year.
A) hadn't been reduced
B) hadn't reduced
C) wouldn't reduce
D) would have been reduced
E) wouldn't have reduced
17. Vegetarians don't eat meat, ___ they?
18. I ___ a report when suddenly all the lights ___ out.
A) am writing / have gone
B) was writing / go
C) was writing / went
D) have been writing / went
E) have been writing / have been going
19. " I often write to them", she said.
She said ___.
A) she often writes to them
B) she often wrote to them
C) she had often written to them
D) she is often writing to them
E) she was often writing to them
20. David ___ to me several Times since my accident.
A) will write
B) is writing
C) .has written
D) had been writing
E) was writing
21. Weakened by long years of use, the bridge _____
while a heavy truck was passing.
A) was collapsing
B) would be collapsed
D) was collapsible
22. Mary usually encourages people while ____
A) they tried to establish
B) they are trying to establish
C) they had been trying to establish
D) they have been trying to establish
E) they will have been trying to establish
23. A: "What are you collecting all this information
B) : "____ a report."
A) For use
B) To use in
C) To use
E) In using
24. Malaria, which can be fatal if left untreated, ____
by the female, _________ by the male mosquito.
A) transmits / not
B) is transmitted / not
C) is transmitted / nor
D) transmits /nor
E) is transmitting /yet
25. They ___ the hotel by the end of this month so
they'll no longer be here in July. You can speak to the
manager later on.
A) have sold
B) will be selling
C) were selling
D) will have sold
E) will have been selling