1. The less other people compliment her, ___.
A) she has less confidence in herself
B) the less confidence she feels in herself
C) the least confidence she feels in herself
D) she has the least confidence
E) she has more confidence in herself
2. ___, the more strain on the engine.
A) The load is big
B) The load is bigger
C) The load is the biggest
D) The load the bigger
E) The bigger the load
3. ____, the greater his resentment became.
A) He waited longer
B) He waited the longest
C) The longer he waited
D) The more waited
E) The longer the wait
4. ___ the committee members draw up a new constitution,
but they also changed the name of the association.
A) Neither did
B) Not only
C) So did
D) Even though
E) Not only did
5. ___ the money for the voyage, but he also lent me his
A) Not only Grandfather provided
B) Grandfather provided not only
C) Not only does Grandfather provide
D) Not only did Grandfather provide
E) Not only Grandfather provides
6. ___, the harder he falls.
A) The biggest the man
B) He is bigger
C) The bigger the man is
D) The man the bigger
E) He is the bigger man
7. The customer complained noisily ___ the waitress
served him cold toast.
8. Paul admitted his lack of experience ___ immaturity.
B) on the contrary
E) as a conclusion of
9. The artist is highly regarded ___ has little
10. Howard is a talented actor, ___ he seldom obtains
A) so that
11. The Eagles conceded the game ___ they were tired.
12. _____ the other flat before you sold your old one?
A) Haven't you bought
B) Didn't you buy
C) Hadn't you bought
D) Can't you buy
E) Don't you buy
13. Anastasia ___ television for a long time when she
fell asleep on the sofa.
A) is watching
B) has been watching
C) can watch
D) had been watching
E) will be watching
14. For how many hours ___ when your alarm clock rang
A) do you sleep
B) did you sleep
C) have you been sleeping
D) had you been sleeping
E) will you be sleeping
15. How long ___ your wife before you got married?
A) did you know
B) had you known
C) have you known
D) do you know
E) will you know
16. _____ to hear from your friends ___ their arrival in
A) Have you been expecting / while
B) Had you been expecting / since
C) Do you expect /as
D) Did you expect / upon
E) Had you been expecting / although
17. After I ___ supper, I watched Benny-hill show.
B) will finish
C) had finished
D) am going to finish
E) have finished
18. ___ you go, I will also go.
B) So long as
19. I will send you a post card ___ I am in Rome.
A) due to the fact that
C) on condition that
20. After ___ his job without an apparent cause, Tom
____ enormously depressed.
A) he had lost / had become
B) losing / became
C) losing / had become
E) has lost / became
21. I wasn't home ___ you phoned.
22. After Suzy ___ her education, she _______ a good
A) have finished / found
B) has finished / found
C) had finished / found
D) has finished / find
E) finished / had found
23. Before ___ this report to the manager, we ___ it.
A) shown / must finish
C) we show / finish
D) we had shown / finished
E) showing / must finish
24. ___ he retired, Mr. Steven had worked for forty-five
25. How long ___ sick before she died?
A) has she been
B) was she
C) had she been
D) will she been
E) is she