1. The administrator has requested that we ____ our
thermostats to 19" C.
A) must lower
B) may lower
C) ought to lower
E) will lower
2. It's preferable that you ___ with the manager.
A) mustn't argue
B) are not going to argue
C) not argue
D) didn't argue
E) don't argue
3. ___ the blues of the Southwest in a 11-meter boat is
_____ I want to
do when I retire.
A) Sailing / which
C) While / which
D) Sailor / what
E) To sail / what
4. Have you decided ___her for her anniversary?
A) what are you going to get
B) what you are going to give
C) which are you going to buy
D) where are they going
E) where you taking
5. Weakened by his long sickness, ___ by the
A) he is exhausting
B) he will be exhausted
C) he was exhausted
E) to exhaust
6. ____, a police officer signalled me to stop.
A) While backed the truck into an alley
B) In order to back the truck into an alley
C) While I was backing the truck into an alley
D) I backed the truck into an alley
E) I was backed the truck into an alley
7. Being young and restless, _____ by the long stage of
A) I was bored
B) I was boring
D) after I was bored
E) before I am bored
8. The woman remained hesitant of her status in the
A) but Tom had predicted
B) neither had Tom predicted
C) also Tom had predicted
D) if Tom had predicted
E) as Tom had predicted
9. Mr. Dobbswow is busy most of the afternoon; _____, he
could see you at four-thirty.
A) in spite of
C) so long as
10. ___, I wanted to stop over at Haroldon's house.
A) There was a delay
B) In spite of the delay
C) Because of the delay
D) There must be delay
E) When there is a delay
11. The cook left in a week, ___ she had family troubles
to take care of.
A) to say that
B) said that
C) after said that
D) saying that
E) she is saying that
12. ___ when he entered, Melly stood behind the doctor.
A) Thought to surprise him
B) After she was thought to surprise him
C) She was surprised
D) She was thought to surprise him
E) Hoping to surprise him
13. The sergeant conducted his own inspection,
cautiously ___ into our footlockers and ___ our
A) looking / examined
B) looked / examining
C) looking / examining
D) looks / examines
E) looking / examines
14. ___ when he graduated, Ted added the additional
course to his program.
A) Wishing to earn more money
B) He wishes to earn more money
C) He wished to earn more money
D) Wished to earn more money
E) After wished to earn more money
15. ___, Marilyn seized the letter and fled to room.
A) To see her chance
B) Seeing her chance
C) It is her chance
D) She must see her chance
E) Unless Margaret saw her chance
16. Henrew picked over the apples, ___.
A) to choose only the ripest
B) while choosing only the ripest
C) choosing only the ripest
D) although choosing only the ripest
E) to have been choosing only the ripest
17. ___, he broke into a wide grin.
A) Hearing his name called
B) Calling his name
C) To call his name
D) Heard his name calling
E) If he heard his name
18. Henrew sat next to me, ___.
A) to puzzle over the test questions.
B) after he had puzzled over the test questions
C) puzzled over the test questions
D) in order to puzzle over the test questions
E) puzzling over the test questions
19. ___, the boss handed the guarantee back to me.
A) Shook his head
B) He wanted to shake his head
C) Shaking his head
D) To shake his head
E) In order to shake his head
20. ___, the nurse placed the coffee out of reach.
A) She wanted to do her job
B) Trying to do her job
C) Tried to do her job
D) After she had tried to do her job
E) To try to do her job
21. Most of the schoolboys were indifferent to money,
A) to work only when they felt like it
B) working only when they felt like it
C) that they worked only when they felt like it
D) they work only when they felt like it
E) if they want to work only when they felt like it
22. ___, Mr. Hudsonhawk groped for the light switch.
D) In order to cough
E) Why to cough
23. ___, she only asked why he had not phoned earlier.
B) After forgiven
C) Forgiving him
D) Forgive him
E) Forgives him
24. ___, the artist and her husband to pause for only
one more picture.
A) Ignored the questions
B) They ignored the questions
C) Ignoring the questions
D) By ignoring the questions
E) While ignoring the questions
25. Laurella can leave her Toyota for you at the
airport, ____ rent a car there.
A) or you can
B) but you can
C) or you had to
D) or you can have
E) but you may have