1. The aged couple are counting on ___ financially by
C) being helped
E) being help
2. He won't bear ___ what to do.
C) being told
D) that he tells
E) which tells
3. ___ the waiters ten to sixteen percent is the custom
B) Do tip
D) Not tipping
E) Don't tip
4. She finished __ the clothes five minutes ago.
C) to iron
E) not ironing
5. ___ in this lake is prohibited.
A) For fishing
B) That fishing
D) Since you fish
E) That you fish
6. He scolded the cook for not ___ enough salt into the
C) to put
E) to putting
7. The city official turned down__ anything improper.
B) to doing
C) to do
8. His ___ in jail made it hard for him to get a job.
A) having boarded
B) to be
C) having been
E) having stayed
9. I can't comprehend his ___ me while he was in town.
B) didn't call
D) not calling
10. When the police officer questioned him, he denied
___ the watch.
A) to steal
B) have stolen
C) have been stolen
E) having stolen
11. Would you mind ___ the window?
A) to open
E) to opening
12. Do you mind ___?
A) if I am smoking in the class
B) if I smoke in the class
C) had I smoked in the class
D) were I smoked in the class
E) if I was smoked in the class
13. The reason ______ using DOT is because it poisons
A) when they object to
B) which they object to
C) why they objected to
D) when they objected to
E) why they object to
14. The reason ___ was because they wished to be fine
A) why they co-operate
B) why they co-operated
C) when they co-operated
D) if they co-operate
E) in which they co-operated
15. _______ the P.A. changed the water was because it
A) The problem is
B) The solution was
D) The reason why
E) The time when
16. ___, Gerald exchanged plates with her mother.
A) To prevent a scene at the restaurant
B) As she prevent a scene at the restaurant
C) Who prevented a scene at the restaurant
D) She prevent a scene at the restaurant
E) The scene at the restaurant was prevented
17. ___ a good price for his cattle, Henry told Elisa he
would take her into Salinas for dinner.
A) Celebrating receiving
B) That he celebrated receiving
C) To celebrate receiving
D) He celebrated receiving
E) It is a celebration for receiving
18. ___, the photographer told the model to turn her
right leg a little outward.
A) He made the pose more appealing
B) To make the pose more appealing
C) That he made the pose more appealing
D) The photographer who made the pose more appealing
E) It is the most appealing pose
19. He states ___ he should be in charge ___ that all
the experiments ought to be duplicated.
20. ___ another apartment building, you are showing your
A) In looking for
B) Looking at
C) Looking to
D) In looking to
E) Because looking for
21. ___, Bryant took a job as a server.
A) He wanted to buy new clothes
B) He wants to buy new clothes
C) Although he wanted to buy new clothes
D) To buy new clothes
E) Not only he wanted to buy new clothes
22. The soldiers crossed the street speedily, ___
A) hoping to avoid
B) hope to avoid
C) that hoping to avoid
D) that it hopes avoiding
E) that will hope to avoid
23. It's important ___ course group every day.
A) that attending
B) to attending
C) for me to attend
D) me to attend
E) for me to attending
24. It isn't lawful ___.
A) drivers driving without a license
B) driving to drive without a license
C) driver's license to drive
D) driver's to drive without a license
E) to drive without a driver's license
25. Do you know _____?
A) when did your parents get married
B) your parents get married
C) where did your parents get married
D) when your parents got married
E) why did your parents get married