1. There have been some art critics who ____in
depreciation of Picasso that he _____a draughtsman all
A) had maintained / has remained
B) have maintained / remained
C) were maintaining / had remained
D) maintained / would have remained
E) will remain / maintains
2. The Romanian Privatization Authority declared last
week that Renault of France. To be the sole bidder for a
majority stake in the national car firm, Dacia, which
____cheap cars for the domestic market.
A) would turn out/ had made
B) has turned out/ made
C) would have turned out/ is making
D) is turning out/has made
E) might turn out/ makes
3. At the Brussels meeting over the last month Madeleine
Albright, the American Secretary of state, ____her
allies that future NATO missions ____them further a
but not all over the world.
A) assures / is taking
B) has assured / will have taken
C) assured / would take
D) had assured / took
E) was assuring / will take
4. Fish farming in the world seems to be destined to
expand, however it is ____early to foresee the likely
extent of growth in this field.
A) as well
E) so far
5. We are sure that the management and the workforce
will get on well together as long as ____ respects____.
A) the other/ another
B) both / itself
C) the one/ another
D) everyone / themselves
E) each / the other
6. The term "aborigines" indicates the original
residents of any country ,____the native tribes of
A) with regard to
B) due to
C) in spite of
D) in particular
E) according to
7. Even though the American writer Katherine Anne Porter
used a variety of places ____the setting of her short
stories and novels, she often came ____to the scenes of
D) without / for
E) under / up
8. German television is still stuck ____a regulatory
structure designed ____a bygone age.
A) off/ within
B) up / in
C) away / by
D) through / over
E) with / for
9. In their debate concerning the proposed defence
strategies, NATO diplomats found they could not agree
____what the alliance was____, what weapons it would
threaten to use and in what conditions.
A) on / for
B) about / into
C) with / over
D) by / about
E) before / through
10. Today the United States, still by far ____wealthy
country in the world, is increasing its working hours
____creating a more positive balance between work and
A) the more / as well
B) most/in spite of
D) the most / instead of
E) the / just as
11. In developing new collective defence policies,
America and her European allies will------- be drawn
closer together ____drift permanently apart.
A) either / or
B) not only / but also
C) so / that
E) just as/so
12 . ___ I want is some peace.
13. Richard walked into the room with a gun in ___ hand.
14. The two bikes for sale were in poor condition, so I
didn't buy ___.
A) all of them
B) some of them
C) either of them
D) neither of it
15. I tried to lift the trunk but it was ___.
A) no good
B) no well
C) neither good
E) each good
16. Is ___ of you interested in working on Sunday this
17. I'm afraid there are ___ vacancies in the company.
18. Could you give me ___ information about the
19. The news ___ at 8 o'clock.
C) are going to be
20. There were ___ people at the wedding.
21. ___ of the pop-singers had a good voice.
C) All the
22. You___ deserve to be promoted.
23. I read __._ novels but I didn't like ___ of them.
D) either / both
24. _____ person was given a personal parking space.
25. ___ month of the year is December.
C) The last
D) Last the
E) A last