1. The article begins with an inclusive survey of the
current controversy _____the building of a new nuclear
2. The applicant who can solve this problem is _____we
shall accept for this particular vacancy.
D) the one
E) the same
3. It is stated that some cultural features are not only
different from others _____also better than others.
4. I listened to their conversation for quite a long
time, however I never was sure _____they were talking
5. _____there has been a growth of environmental
problems worldwide, almost all countries are now under
pressure to protect their environment.
B) In addition
E) Even though
6. _____the political and social changes of latest
decades, cultural pluralism is now generally recognized
as an organizing principle of American society.
A) In case
C) Owing to
D) As a consequence
E) In due course
7. I said I would take on the London interviews as I had
to go to London_____.
A) in any case
B) even so
C) so long
D) due to
8. The ceasefire came into effect _____the journalists
arrived on the scene.
A) far from
C) as much as
D) just as
E) too far
9. If they were to withdraw their troops from the
frontier, I resolutely believe that peace talks
A) will resume
C) would be resumed
E) have been resumed
10. It is predicted that, by the end of this century, a
new world order _____into being.
A) had come
B) has come
C) would have come
E) will have come
11. Until the procedures relating to his appointment to
the board_____, he will give no press interviews.
A) would be finalized
B) will be finalized
D) are finalized
E) will have been finalized
12. In summing up the case, the judge stressed that the
accused _____in many similar incidents in the past.
A) had involved
B) had been involved
C) is involved
D) has been involved
E) has involved
13. Even while the special envoy _____the release of the
hostages, there _____yet another case of kidnapping by
the same terrorist faction.
A) had negotiated / had been
B) negotiated / has been
C) was negotiating / was
D) is negotiating/would be
E) would negotiate / will be
14. Take the third turning on _____left. It is opposite
A) your / yours
B) his / your
C) your / their
D) their/ their
E) their/ theirs
15. Don't bother _____filling those documents. I'd much
rather you helped me _____those letters.
16. Most animals ___captivity must be fed and watered
____least thrice a day.
17. Our previous typist was certainly _____of the two.
A) the more efficient
C) more efficient thon
E) very efficiently
18. No _____city except London contains _____places of
A) other / more
B) one / the more
C) more / more
D) other / other
E) more / other
19. He is _____aware of the _____circumstances this
A) not / hardly
B) good / bad
C) well / harder
D) hardly / hardly
E) quite / more
20. If I hadn't paid _____for the suit, I could have
purchased a shirt and a tie as_____.
A) so much / well
B) very much / too
C) as much / also
D) too much / more
E) more / much
21. He behaves _____he has lived abroad for so many
B) as if
22. _____being the best student as he imagines, he is
indeed one of the worst.
D) Far from
E) As if
23. Most of _____we think to be the effects of the
economic crisis is actually the result of bad
organization and management.
24. _____October 29th, 2123 Turkish Republic will have
been in existence for 200 years
E) As of
25. I'm expected to clear up after you,_____?
A) don't you
B) aren't you
C) don't I
D) aren't I
E) haven't I