1) When my
brother __________ that I __________ all the points
about the subject, he __________ me to help him.
A) has realised/memorised/is asking
B) realised/had memorised/asked
C) had realised/memorised/asked
D) will realise/memorised/asks
E) is realising/memorise/is asking
2) They ________ very tired because they _________ a
party the night before.
A) feel / had had
B) feel / had
C) felt / had had
D) will feel / will have had
E) feel / have
3) I remember very clearly that when we were at high
school, we _________ break the truth and escape from
A) got used to
B) were used to
C) used to
4) They couldnt believe that I managed to pass the
difficult exam, _______?
A) didnt they
B) didnt I
C) did I
D) could they
E) couldnt they
5) It is very difficult to perceive that a paragraph
question requires inference, _______?
A) doesnt it
B) does it
C) is it
D) isnt it
E) arent they
6) Since this book is generally based ____ the character
of the writer, I am very concerned _______ it.
7) Her books are still on the table, but ______ cannot
be found; in fact, they were next to ________.
8) The students insisted on not taking my word for the
exam _________ I warned them by showing all the proofs.
9) Because all the girls think they are ______ beautiful
______ the top models on television, they want to join
10) The prime minister worked on the subject day and
night; ________, it has fallen through.
A) owing to
B) due to
11) Because of being indifferent ____ the possible
threats around such as fire, Wilson didnt insure his
family ______ them.
12) We knew that we wouldn't reach the village that day
but we walked ____ we could.
A) as long as
C) as tall as
D) so far
13) He was the only one who seemed to be enjoying the
concert; all ______ did not like it.
A) the others
D) each other
E) every other
14) I don't remember ______ times I've warned you about
your coming home late every night, but you have never
taken any notice.
A) how often
C) how long
D) how many
E) how much
15) John Donne is one of _____ poets who used
metaphysical imagery in his poems.
B) the few
E) the whole
16) The Portuguese ____ among the first Europeans ____
to Hawaii, many arriving in 1878 from the Azores and
B) were/to come
C) have been/to have come
D) had been/came
E) would be/having come
17) Today the train is ______ way of travelling across
Denmark, but perhaps there will be even ______ ways in
A) so quick / quicker
B) such a quick / quickest
C) the quickest / quicker
D) too quick / more quickly
E) quickly enough / most quickly
18) You had better stop blaming _____ for the accident
Steve had. It was entirely because of ____ carelessness.
B) yourselves/his own