1) Of these
paintings, the work of Marin ________ the most
A) might prove
B) are proving
C) had proved
D) would prove
E) has proved
2) On the condition that I ________ the information that
you were able to solve this question, I __________ next
to you, any way.
A) had / will come
B) had had / would
C) have / will come
D) had had / would have come
E) have / might come
3) What you are talking about may not be understood by
her right now, but I am sure she ________ the words when
you meet her again.
A) will be appreciating
B) will have appreciated
C) will have been appreciating
D) is appreciating
4) Having known that the deadline of the homework
expired, she thought she _________ do it so.
A) used to
C) neednt have
D) didnt need to
E) got used to
5) It shouldnt be discussed that the rates of money can
be dwindled, in any way, ______?
A) should it
B) cant it
C) can it
D) shouldnt it
E) isnt it
6) I have tried the first two clothes, but I havent put
on __________ one.
7) Abdulhamid I, Ottoman sultan of Turkey, who left his
mark _____ Turkey as one of the strongest reformers
_____ the 18th century.
A) for / in
B) at / of
C) on / of
D) in / of
E) of / on
8) Everything was _______ outstanding just _____ the
middle of the night, but there was coming a silent
A) quite / in B) too / on C) rather / for D) so / into
E) very / at
9) I have fallen in love with _______ woman, but they
were not there, indeed.
A) a good deal of B) many a c) some D) a number of E) a
vast majority of
10) The men _____ do the painting are given a special
training ______ includes rescue work.
A) where / what B) when / where C) what / that D) whose
E) who / which
11) My brother chose to continue his life at university
after graduating from high school, _________, I followed
his step on occasion of my graduation.
A) likewise B) on the contrary
C) whats more D) while E) although
12) I want to tell the news I have heard from my elder
sister, but I cannot remember ______ thoroughly.
A) it B) them C) theirs D) their E) this
13) Ever since Queen Elizabeth I ____ it in 1592,
Trinity College ____ a major role in Dublin life.
A) was founded/has been playing
B) founded/has played
D) had founded/was playing
E) was founding/plays
14) There ______ still a lot of negotiations about the
newspaper dated November 10th, 1998, when a column
writer ________ political leaders in an unjust way.
A) were/has criticized
B) had been/are criticizing
C) are/has criticized
E) were/will be criticizing
15) _______ successful was an Egyptian marketplace
during the first part of this millennium that many
believe it was responsible for Columbus' search for an
alternate route to India.
16) At the time Titanic was launched from the Harland
and Wolff shipyard in Belfast, it was the largest moving
object ____ built.
C) so far
17) _______ plants, which manufacture nutrients from
inorganic substances by means of photosynthesis, animals
actively acquire their food and digest it internally.
B) The same as
18) You _____ from this stomach-ache now if you ____ all
you were offered.
A) arent suffering/didnt eat
B) might not have suffered/werent eating
C) hadnt suffered/hadnt been eating
D) wouldnt be suffering/ hadnt eaten
E) dont suffer/havent eaten
19) Soon after I informed my friend about the sharp
decline in the monopoly sector, he desperately wished he
_________ all his money into it.
A) hasnt invested
B) wouldnt invest
C) hadnt invested
D) didnt invest
E) wasnt investing
20) The term folklore was coined in 1846 by an
Englishman ____ wanted to use an Anglo-Saxon term for
____ was then called "popular antiquities".
21) Any excavation, _____ how large or small and of
whatever period and type of site, can be an exciting and
essentially unpredictable event.
C) no matter
E) in contrast to
22) I hardly approve of the words you are uttering about
him, and I believe that he himself _______ if he heard
A) cannot even
B) doesnt so
C) wouldnt either
D) did too
E) must as well
23) Due to the changing cultural habits and the negative
effects of television, there has been ______ violence in
high schools recently.
A) much of
E) lots of
24) Batteries provide us _____ a store of electric
current that we can carry _____, for example in
calculators, torches and cars.
25) It is unlikely that he ____ one of my books
thoroughly; maybe he ____ of me from a person in his
circle of friends.
B) had read/has heard
C) will read/is hearing
D) was reading/had heard
E) is reading/hears
26) The discoveries ______ in the last several years
_____to make possible the heart transplantation in a few
A) making/will have been expected
B) are made/have been expected
C) have been made/will be expecting
D) made/are expected
E) were made/were expected
27) The company for ______ my friend has been working
for many years is in danger of going bankrupt after the
economic crisis ______ it deeply.
A) which / affects
B) which / affecting*
C) that / to affect
D) where / affecting
E) whose / having affected
28) He warned us that the crime rate ___ unless stricter
punishment ____ into practice for those who have broken
A) werent reduced/could be put
B) wont reduce/has put
C) wouldnt be reduced/were putting
D) might not have reduced/had put
E) couldnt be reduced/were put
30) As regards air pollution, some scientists conclude
that human production is primarily responsible, ____
others cite natural causes as well.
C) seeing that