1) If the
operation hadnt been successful, her feet would have
been _____ worse by now.
2) In the world of the ancient Greeks, ships were
preferred instead of wagons for carrying the goods due
to the fact that ships could go _____ faster and carry
_____ more cargo than wagons bumping over rough terrain.
A) more / less
B) quite / less
C) much / much
D) least / no
E) very / many
3) The father was in _____ a shortage of money in order
to run his family _____ he went mad since he couldnt
bear the terrible condition of his family.
A) so / that
B) so / as
C) such / as
D) as / that
E) such / that
4) The artist was _____ drunken when he left the pub
_____ he had no sooner had an accident than he turned
left from the first junction.
A) such / that
B) so / that
C) so many / that
D) as many / as
E) more / than
5) For _____ key learning areas _____ grammar,
vocabulary and communication skills, one should review
what he has learnt on a regular basis.
A) so / as
B) as many / as
C) such / as
D) as much / as
E) far more / than
6) In order not to fall into _____ similar mistakes
_____ the one done before, he should look into the
account of what he did in the past.
A) such / as
B) so / as
C) too / that
D) the most / than
E) as / much
7) Sometimes, as a father, I become hesitant to be
always there when my children need me and protect them
________ I am able.
A) as many as
B) so much that
C) less carefully than
D) so far as
E) so far that
8) Since the film Mandy chose for her children to watch
turned out to be _____ violent _____ she had expected,
she had to send her children to bed instead of watching
it till the end.
A) less / than
B) much / than
C) too / that
D) so / that
E) more / than
9) When the theatre wasnt even ______ as crowded as the
one where Romeo and Juliet was performed, the
executives suspected that the audience didnt like the
performance of the actors in the new play presented.
E) four times
10) I _______ the flowers in the vase and then _______
the vase on the table.
A) had put/placing
B) put/had placed
D) have been putting/place
E) would put/was placing
11) We _______ the house painted this summer or else it
_______ till next year.
A) have to have/cant have been done
B) must have/will not be done
C) will have/wasnt done
D) are having/werent done
E) had/wouldnt be done
12) _______ you _______ the mumps yet? My sister just
_______ down with a case.
C) have/been having/coming
E) would/have/have come
13) I _______ for my sewing needle. It _______ out of my
hand as I _______ it.
A) am looking/fell/was threading
B) was looking/fall/threaded
C) looked/fell/am threading
D) have looked/has fallen/have threaded
E) would look/have fallen/thread
14) No, I _______ with you because I _______ plans to go
with the Smiths.
A) can go/can't made
B) couldn't go/make
C) can't go/have made
D) haven't gone/have made
E) had gone/will make
15) I _______ the tin of beans yet. Where _______ you
A) haven't find/can/put
B) haven't found/did/put
C) have found/do/put
D) wasn't finding/have/put
E) have been finding/were/putting
16) Tomorrow, I _______ my first payment on the new car
I _______ last month.
A) will make/buy
B) am making/was buying
C) will have made/buying
D) will be making/bought
E) had made/bought
17) We _______ buying a boat because we _______ anything
B) are/haven't known
C) will be/had known
D) aren't/don't know
E) may be/didn't know
18) Which hotel _______ to stay in when you get to New
York? I _______ one if you _______ reservations yet.
A) will you be/might suggest/have made
B) are you/suggest/didn't make
C) were you/suggested/haven't made
D) are you going/will be suggesting/made
E) are you going/can suggest/haven't made
19) Oh no! My favourite dish _______.
A) have been broken
B) will be breaking
C) has been broken
D) will have been broken
E) had been breaking
20) I _______to speak to her about this situation after
I _______with her instructors about it.
A) was planning/am talking
B) plan/have talked
C) am planning/talk
D) had planned/talking
E) to plan/to talk
21) I am going to the bazaar, and I _______ back by the
time you _______here.
A) will have been/come
B) might be/had come
C) have to be/were coming
D) will be/come
E) would be /will have come
22) The amount of time _______on cooking is not at all
proportional to that of time we _______to eat what is
C) are to spend/have taken
D) spent/have taken
23) The interesting ideas _______by my students could
A) to present/ignore
B) presented/be ignored
C) having to be presented/ignoring
D) was presented/have been ignore E) having to be
24) During the emergency, they _______to restore
electricity with the help of an emergency back-up system
that the engineers _______many years earlier.
A) were able/having installed
B) were able/had installed
D) are/were installed
25) Many people _______ the extracts of various plants
to help people who _______ ill.
A) were using/is
B) have to use/been
C) have used/were
D) are using/is
E) used/have to be
26) The librarians at our town library _______ the books
and records in alphabetical order so that we _______
them more easily.
A) were to arrange/had to find
C) is to arrange/will find
D) are going to arrange/can find
E) could have arranged/have found
27) Photocopying services _______ available just about
everywhere these days.
E) had been
28) Steven and Joseph _______ that they _______ more
than they had originally _______.
A) notice/is studying/planned
B) noticed/were studying/planned
C) are noticing/were studying/plan
D) notices/are studying/plans
E) have noticed/study/have to plan
29) Many teenagers in this country _______to spend their
summer holidays relaxing and enjoying themselves because
they _______ work.
A) wont afford/has
B) havent afforded/are
C) wouldn't afford/is
D) can't afford/have to
E) are affording/might be
30) Every year the alumni of our high school and
university _______ to a gathering of old classmates.
A) are invited
B) have been invited
C) will have to be inviting
E) were inviting